Mercuria Energy Group Ltd buys MGM International from Morgan Stanley
Mercuria Energy Group Ltd, one of the world’s largest independent energy traders, located in Geneva, Switzerland had bought Florida-based carbon offset project developer MGM International from investment bank Morgan Stanley (MS).
Under the terms of the transaction, Mercuria has purchased all of the equity in MGM International Group from Morgan Stanley Capital Group Inc. and MGM International LLC, which is owned by MGM International Group’s founders.
“MGM has proven to be a leading innovator in the field of carbon project development, and we are very pleased to bring this company and its management on board at Mercuria,” said. Jean-Francois Steels, Mercuria Head of Carbon Trading. “We anticipate MGM will provide a valuable platform for the growth of our carbon project origination and marketing activities.”
The Miami, Florida-based MGM International Group is a leader in the development of international projects to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and a pioneer in global carbon trading markets. The firm was one of the first to focus on global carbon project development, and it currently manages projects in 22 countries.
“There are few companies in the carbon market with such a mature and sizable portfolio of projects as MGM,” said Paul Chivers Mercuria Group Chief Investment Officer “MGM’s portfolio stands out for the diversity of its projects by geography, technology, and credit delivery dates. The company is poised to produce a significant amount of credits between now and the end of the Kyoto Protocol compliance period in December 2012, which provides a solid platform to support our focus on global carbon trading markets.”
Mercuria is a privately-owned international group of companies active over a wide spectrum of global energy markets including crude oil and refined petroleum products, natural gas (including LNG), power, coal, biodiesel, vegetable oils and carbon emissions. It is one of the world’s five largest independent energy traders and has a longstanding sector expertise.
In addition to its trading core, Mercuria has upstream and downstream assets ranging from oil reserves in Argentina, Canada and the US, to oil and products terminals in Europe and China, as well as substantial investment in the coal mining industry and bio fuels plants under construction in Germany and the Netherlands.
You may also be interested in:
- Ruby Slippers: Leadership Lessons from The Wizard of Oz This year the epic film, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, celebrates 75 years since its premiere. Early in the film the powerful nature of the ruby slippers was messaged to Dorothy. Soon after […] Posted in Leadership
- The spiritual head, Tibetan Buddhist community Dalai Lama Officially Joins Twitter The spiritual head of the Tibetan Buddhist community his Holiness The Dalai Lama (@DalaiLama), one of the world's most influential people, has joined the social networking line to keep in […] Posted in Leadership
- Here’s How Spanish Business Schools Dominate European B-School Ranking 2014 In the age of global economic uncertainty, three Spanish business schools ranked among the top 10 in the latest Financial Times rankings of European business schools.Madrid´s IE […] Posted in Rankings
- Must-follow Twitter accounts in the world of Yachting, Sailing, and boating Twitter can be a powerful tool. But it is only as good as people/accounts you follow. Here's some of the must-follow Twitter accounts in the world of yachting, sailing, and boating, sure […] Posted in Leadership
- Hugh Hefner is buying back Playboy, FriendFinder Marc Bell out Playboy Enterprises Inc (PLA) is seeking $180 million in bank loans to fund its takeover by founder Hugh M. Hefner, include a $20 million revolving line of credit and a $160 million term […] Posted in Leadership
- Lions Gate Entertainment in talks with Carol Icahn over merger with Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (MGM) Lions Gate Entertainment (LGF) has met with Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (MGM) to present a proposal to combine the two studios once MGM emerges from bankruptcy. Lions Gate vice chairman Michael […] Posted in Leadership
Latest posts by Editor, Megan Batchelor (see all)
- Secrets to better brainstorming [Infographic] - 05/13/2016
- The Top 25 ultimate yacht charter destinations in the world, 2015 - 09/09/2015
- The Top 50 Richest countries in the world - 07/16/2015