Groupon Grabs $135 Million From Digital Sky Technologies (DST) and Battery Ventures- Worth $1 Billion
Chicago based, U.S. consumer web company, Groupon has raised $135 million in a fourth round of financing from the Russian firm Digital Sky Technologies. DST led the round, with participation from Battery Ventures, valuing it at more than $1 billion. Groupon features a daily deal on the best stuff to do, see, eat, and buy in a variety of cities across the United States. Groupon is profitable and has 270 employees.
GROUPON RECEIVES $135 MILLION FROM DST AND BATTERY VENTURES
Investment to Support Rapid Growth of Social Commerce Globally
Chicago / Moscow, April 19 2010 – Groupon, the leading social commerce site, today announced that DST, a leading global Internet investment group, will lead an investment round of $135 million in the Company. A portion of the investment will be used to fuel Groupon’s global expansion, and the rest will be used to facilitate liquidity for employees and early investors.
DST comprises the majority of the investment, with participation from Battery Ventures, which is also a new investor in Groupon.
Groupon leverages group buying and social media to provide its millions of customers big discounts on the best local businesses in more than 50 cities across the United States and in Canada. To date, customers have purchased over four million Groupons on deals ranging from spa treatments and golf outings to fine dining and skydiving and have collectively saved over $150 million on these deals.
“Our growth is a reflection of the positive impact Groupon is having on consumers and businesses at a very early stage of the market development,” said Andrew Mason, founder and CEO of Groupon. “We are very pleased and excited to welcome DST and Battery as shareholders and we look forward to benefiting from their vast knowledge and experience of the social media sector as we continue executing on our growth plans in North America and globally.”
“This investment underscores our view that social networking and community based activity will drive, shape and define the web’s evolution in the years ahead,” said Yuri Milner, Chief Executive of DST. “Groupon, with its strong management team, offering and vision, is pioneering social commerce and is redefining the local advertising space. We look forward to being long-term partners of a company that is on a path to becoming a global Internet leader.”
“We’ve followed the social commerce phenomenon for many years, and are thrilled to have the chance to back such a visionary management team,” said Roger Lee, General Partner, Battery Ventures. “They saw a massive opportunity very early, and have executed flawlessly to define it and take the leadership position. We think there is a lot of runway ahead, and are energized to support the team in their quest.” Founded in November 2008, Groupon has been aggressively expanding to cities throughout the United States, with plans to be in 100 cities by the end of 2010. Earlier today Groupon announced that it has launched its service in Orlando, Fort Worth, Tucson and Toronto, its first Canadian city.
Groupon, launched in November 2008 in Chicago, features a daily deal on the best stuff to do, eat, see, and buy in more than 50 cities across the United States and in Canada, including Chicago, Boston, New York City, San Francisco, Atlanta, Washington, D.C., and Toronto. Groupon uses collective buying power to offer unbeatable prices and provide a win-win for businesses and consumers. The social commerce service is a project of The Point ), an online community launched in 2007 for organizing group action. Groupon plans to be in 100 cities by the end of 2010.
Digital Sky Technologies and DST Global (together “DST”), is the largest Internet Company in the Russian-speaking and Eastern European markets and also one of the leading internet investment groups globally to exclusively focus on internet related companies. DST is backed by leading Russian and Western financial institutions and also holds stakes in Internet world leaders such as Facebook and Zynga.
Since 1983, Battery has been investing in technology and innovation worldwide. The firm partners with entrepreneurs and management teams across technology sectors, geographies, and stages of a company’s life — from start-up and expansion financing to growth equity and buyouts. Battery has supported many breakthrough companies around the world, including: Akamai Technologies (AKAM), BladeLogic (acquired by BMC Software), LIFFE (acquired by EuroNext), MetroPCS (PCS), Infoseek (SEEK), and Omniture (OMTR). Its portfolio of Internet and Digital Media companies today includes: Angie’s List, Bazaarvoice, BlueKai, Exact Target, FreeWheel Media, Lotame and TrialPay. Battery currently manages $4B in committed capital, including its current $750M fund, and invests from offices
You may also be interested in:
- CEOWORLD Magazine and Ivy Exec Announce Strategic Partnership Ivy Exec, a curated community of the world’s most successful professionals, is proud to announce their new strategic partnership with CEOWORLD Magazine, a leading business and technology […] Posted in Growth Leaders
- Why the Best CEOs Are Product People at Heart Every business has bookends. At tech organizations, software engineers sit at one end while salespeople reside at the other. Between them are marketing and product management. The thread […] Posted in Growth Leaders
- Lessons on Building Brand Intimacy from the Apple Watch Brand intimacy is the essential relationship between a person and a brand that transcends purchase, usage and loyalty. This relationship is becoming increasingly important as technology […] Posted in Leadership
- Mobile Commerce Lessons from the Trenches: A Travel Payments Expert Provides Tips, Tactics and Insights Over the last two decades, the mobile marketplace has evolved exponentially - from those very early days of the simple feature phone, when mobile access to the Internet was still a […] Posted in Growth Leaders
- The 25 Best Caribbean Beaches For 2015 Providenciales’ Grace Bay Beach, Turks and Caicos Islands earned its ranking as the No. 1 Travellers’ Choice beach in the Caribbean for 2015, by the travel site Trip Advisor.Who's […] Posted in Leadership, Rankings
- Are Rick and Kathy Hilton- Paris Hilton Parents broke? Rumors continue to mount on social media sites such as facebook and twitter today both Rick Hilton and Kathy Hilton were approved for the credit line of $10 million on their Bel Air […] Posted in Rankings
As founder and editorial director of the CEOWORLD magazine, Amarendra Bhushan is an extensively kudized author, journalist, and internationally syndicated columnist. In 2008, he launched The CEOWORLD magazine, a site that quickly became one of the most widely-read, linked to, and frequently-cited media brands on the Internet.